Why you shouldn't knock personal development
I want to set something straight in the personal development space.
We sometimes hear the term "personal development junkie." Oftentimes it's even self-proclaimed. You know, the people who read every self-help book, who worship folks like Oprah, and attend every Tony Robbins seminar.
This always felt a little weird to me. It felt like these people gave a bad rap to something I find extremely practical and beneficial for every living soul on planet Earth.
However, let's not be so quick to judge. These people are on to something.
Let me be clear - in no cases is it ideal to ONLY read and consume information. No matter what you're learning - physics, woodworking, race car driving - you can't just read or watch videos. Of course you have to do.
So the same applies to personal development.
HOWEVER, if you are going to become obsessed with something, I think becoming obsessed with personal development is a wonderful thing.
1. No matter what you end up doing in life, it's always valuable to have a foundational understanding of how important mindset and taking control of your life is. In the personal development space, the practical techniques are abundant and philosophies are timeless, so you can be sure to learn invaluable lessons.
2. There's never a shortage of opportunities to improve in some area of our lives. Be it our finances, our career, our relationships, our health, our spirituality, we have ample time and space to practice. In fact, there's never NOT a time when we could work on something to improve a certain aspect of our lives.
3. It's a win-win for everybody. You can better understand your current life conditions, and that of others, making you better equipped to help yourself and to help others you care about.
4. No matter who we are - homeless, in prison, living an ordinary life, or a billionaire - we ALL need to grow in order to feel fulfilled.
5. The most exciting thing about personal development for me, is the fact that it's limitless. There is infinite potential we can take our minds, bodies, and spirits, and that fascinates me. No matter how good you have it, you can always make it better.
So, if you're one of those who tends to squirm when you hear about a friend attending a personal development seminar, the next time it happens, congratulate them! And maybe give it a try yourself.
Live with substance!
#confidence #perspective #attitude #mindset #unhappy #success #strategy #intention #excuses #patience #patterns #honesty #fear #truth #vision #empowerment #Patience #uncertainty #Substance #Mindset #Attitude